Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 680

    W Trail - Day 5

    November 23, 2019 in Chile ⋅ ☁️ 13 °C

    Day 5: Mirador de Torres; 13.9miles

    Wow that was exhausting. The hike to the mirador was super crowded with people (unlike our other days). It was also just straight uphill - definitely a slog but not too bad until the last .8 miles. We finally made it to the mirador after 4+ hours, there was some cloud cover and some wind but otherwise it was quite nice views with the big towers and the blue lake below. We were exhausted and hurting a bit though so didn’t enjoy it as much as possible perhaps. The route down was slow going and painful, so many big rocks jamming on my knees and steep downhills smashing toes in my boots. Once we made it to the flat part, I was beyond thrilled.

    I am happy to have done the hike as I would have regretted not, but also feel sadly it was a little underwhelming, as it is the quintessential hike of Torres del Paine. The other hikes were certainly better.

    It was so nice being back in time for a hot shower and dinner at the lodge instead of getting on the bus, even if it meant another night in a dorm.

    We shared a bottle of wine with a super nice couple from Bilbao and celebrated our final evening on the trail. We did it!!! 🎉
    Read more