Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 688

    More hiking!

    December 1, 2019 in Argentina ⋅ ⛅ 10 °C

    For our last Patagonia stop, we spent a few days in El Chaltén, a super tiny tourist town at the edge of the Glaciares National Park. The mountains surround the whole town, and you can easily start several great hikes right from your hostel or AirBnB.

    With only 350 year-round residents, it’s quite small but still filled with restaurants making homemade pasta, microbreweries, and bakeries making solid empanadas and alfajores (I love these little shortbread cookie sandwiches with dulce de leche in the middle!) Plus the town has a fun vibe of hikers and rock climbers from around the world, all there to enjoy the best of nature.

    After one day spent wallowing and sitting mostly in the hotel with a terrible head cold, we got in a couple more lovely hikes with some amazing views of Mt Fitz Roy and Cerro Torre. Brice even suggested going on a second hike in one day - is he beginning to somewhat like hiking?!

    We once again got great weather to close out our 3 weeks in Patagonia. Certainly wasn’t as cold or dreary as I feared or expected and I’m a-ok with that luck!
    Read more