Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 749

    Touristy PDC

    January 31, 2020 in Mexico ⋅ ⛅ 27 °C

    We came to Playa del Carmen hoping this could be an area we would like to stay longer or to return to, having read that this was a great place for digital nomads. Now that we have been here for 5 days, we are both struggling to understand if or why that is true.

    For one, it is much more touristy than I expected. The popular 5th Avenue is lengthy pedestrian only thoroughfare, lined with touristy knickknacks, touts trying to push anything from sunglasses to taxis to drugs. It’s like one big shopping mall, surprising me with all the American stores like Old Navy, H&M, and Forever 21. The beach, while beautiful with its turquoise water and clean sand, is packed with people.

    Two, with all that tourism comes the prices. We hear stories that living here can be cheap but I see a lot of restaurants that are US prices - $12 for a margarita and $15-20 for entrees. At least the Crossfit we joined (so good!) is only $35 for the week!

    Supposedly there is a nomad/expat community per the Facebook groups I’ve joined, but it seems like most people are only here for a few days before heading elsewhere.

    So doesn’t seem to be the place for us. And makes us both miss Buenos Aires a little bit more. But trying to make the best of it - we’ve got diving and snorkeling lined up, plus I am enjoying all the vegan tacos and smoothie bowls my heart and stomach can handle! 🙂
    Read more