Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 25

    Bamberg, Germany

    June 24, 2022 in Germany ⋅ ⛅ 21 °C

    As we walked on the shady path next to a river that many locals were taking a dip in, Mabel said "you walk a little billit, then I ride a little billit." Meaning that she walks some and then is carried some along our excursions. I love the way she verbalized it. We have been doing a lot of walking. Later, after our Bamberg trip she called the movie Pinocchio, "Poky Noky!" Stinkin' cute!

    Those of you with kids can sing along... Do you like bacon? Yes, I do. Yes, I do. Do you like beer? Yes, I do. Yes, I do. Do you like bacon beer? NO! Or at least I don't. This town is famous for its smoked dark beer. It tastes as if you are drinking smoked bacon or meat. Seth and his friend thoroughly enjoyed it, but hard pass for me. The Schlenkerla is a historic brewery that specializes in this beer.

    After the brewery, we ventured to feed our hungry critters a leberkäse brötchen. This sandwich did not appear appetizing to me, as it was described to be a meat sponge made from left over meat parts. However, it was quite tasty. The kids devoured the warm meat "sponge" sandwiched inside a soft, crumbly bun.

    Once we "fueled" up, we began exploring Bamberg. The views in this town were amazing everywhere you looked. The scenery from the bottom on the cobblestone streets provided close ups of old architecture, tall towering cathedrals with gaudy gold accents, while the view from above in the rose garden allowed for a panoramic view of the town. The height and stonework on the four towers of the cathedral were just remarkable. I cannot imagine how much blood, sweat and tears went into building these collasal towers.

    Nearing the end of our hot day in Bamberg, the kids were melting, so we ice creamed them up. I tried an orange basil ice cream that was quite refreshing.

    On our way home, we stopped for dinner at the Spezial-Keller Biergarten, which is just outside the city. This place has such a picturesque view of Bamberg, shade and a lovely playground for kids to get their wiggles out, while parents relax.

    What a lovely day with our friend as our tour guide!
    Read more