Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 75–78

    Tropic Camp

    October 16, 2023 in the United States ⋅ ☀️ 72 °F

    We had a beautiful drive with more viewpoints. We found propane and kerosene at the home store in Escalante and picked up groceries and plant-based fudge bars. Then we found a lovely camp above Tropic (named for the warmer temperature than surrounding areas) in Grand Staircase Escalante National Monument overlooking Bryce Canyon. While we only planned to stay for the night, we stayed for 3 as had great views with abundance of firewood and discovered could take Zumi to back trail of Bryce (only one other couple in 3 miles and relatively flat) and into town. Also made a new friend when Kizzy and Roxy dog camped next to us. They joined us for an evening fire and morning yoga. Kizzy left us with a lovely gift of plums she dried. Next to our site someone had thrown a pile of tomato plants full of green tomatoes. We salvaged what we could and enjoyed a delicious meal of fried green tomatoes. The following evening we roasted some green tomatoes on the fire to top our mountain pie quesadillas. Delicious meals with amazing views!
    Total 63 miles for Bliss, 21 for Zumi, and
    6 miles for us, $22.67 for groceries and $28 for camp fuels. Pics show walk from camp next day and ResoNate spinning that night.
    Read more