Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 7

    Sabi Sands Game Reserve

    November 26, 2015 in South Africa ⋅ ☀️ 77 °F

    In the morning, we hopped on a small plane for the short flight to Skukuza airport in Kruger National Park. We spotted a giraffe on landing and were picked up with an open-top Land Rover. The 45 minute drive, along which we spotted several Impalas and a Kudu (both antelopes), took us to Notten's Bush Camp located in the Sabi Sands private game reserve directly adjacent to Kruger Park. We took a quick dip in the pool, ate a hearty lunch, and then got ready for the first game drive.

    The 5 of us hopped in a Land Rover with our guide and spotter. Since we were on a private game reserve, access was limited to those staying at the lodges accompanied by the guide and spotter. This meant seeing many animals up close. The highlights from the first drive were a pack a wild dogs, two rhinos, 5 female lions, and a leopard eating its dinner in a tree. In many cases, we were within 10 feet of the animals. After one drive, we were already at 3/5 of the "Big 5:" lions, leopards, elephants, rhinos, and buffaloes. We stopped to watch the sunset over the savannah with gin & tonics.

    The communal dinner arrangement was also great. We were joined at the lodge by 10 other guests originating from England, Germany and the US. Next up: the morning drive. Departure time: 5:30am...
    Read more