Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 5

    Paddling Rhino

    August 24, 2022 in Iceland ⋅ ☁️ 9 °C

    Amazingly was up at 06:30 to do a 45 min workout, just shows what the fear of next year's TdF does for you. Then showered, breakfast and on the road for 08:30.

    First stop today was Hvitserkur to see a sea stack that to me sort of resembled a rhino. However, what I hadn't realised was that in total it was a 35 mile detour, on gravel roads and due to a strong cold wind were actually spent about 2 mins looking at it.

    Second stop was a living museum showing farm life in the 1800s, one of the buildings on the farm was a turf walled and grass roofed structure which was typical of the era. There was also a small church there which you see all over Iceland, they're all exactly the same architecture and proportions, though quite surprising how many people you could squeeze inside.

    The last stop of the day was to go riding on Icelandic ponies. It wasn't my idea but must say I quite enjoyed it. Even though they were ponies it still seemed a fair way down if you fell off. However, the one I rode was so calm and responsive to the commands, though he probably thought he was in charge and to be fair he was probably right.

    Tonight we stayed in Hofsos a small coastal village with a harbour, a swimming pool, an Icelandic emigration museum (closed when we got there) and one restaurant/bar, which given its monopoly was really busy. Weirdly, in the village we bumped into an American couple and their daughter that we'd met yesterday, even more weird as they weren't actually staying here.

    Weather: 13 degrees

    Mileage: 234 miles, Laugarholl to Hofsos
    Read more