Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 8

    Alice Springs

    April 25, 2019 in Australia ⋅ 🌬 25 °C

    We finally arrive at Alice Springs and immediately become accustomed to the township and the area. The town itself is mostly surrounded by the McDonnell ranges and so is nestled in like a small oasis.
    Our resort was close to the Todd River which was completely dry at this time of year as the NT had last had rain in Nov 2018.
    The township was clean and well laid out and only a short trip from where we were staying.
    The shopping precinct has a large number of indigenous art stores and fortunately for the artists every time a piece is sold the artist is traced and a commission paid which is driving aboriginal art sales as well as sustaining their culture through the recollection of their Dreamtime stories.
    Incidentally and on another topic everyone who purchases alcohol must have ID in the NT otherwise they will be refused service. This has been implemented to prevent the wrong people from drinking too much and as a way of tracking the consumption of alcohol. Some areas within the NT are completely dry areas.
    We found some funky cafes and classified buildings on our walks including an old gaol.
    Read more