Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 2

    Hitler’s Bunker

    December 18, 2019 in Germany ⋅ ⛅ 8 °C

    Due to the shocking impact Hitler had on the German psyche very little is mentioned of him at all throughout Germany except in the context of learning from the atrocities perpetrated in the name of Nazism.

    As a consequence of this, his last refuge in Berlin was his bunker where he committed suicide as the Russians stormed into Berlin. The site of his death is a non descript parking lot that has permanently been unkept and is only marked with a blue sign signifying the location such is the contempt that the German race now have for him.
    His ashes were scattered into the Elbe river so that Hitler was never able to have any lasting burial place within Germany such was the attitude toward his crimes.

    On another note the surrounding architecture of the area is similar to the glum and basic government housing of the East German regime. Interestingly we were also able to understand that these high rise apartments were sought out by the Stasi and high ranking East German officials at the time so that they could have some enjoyment in their lives by looking over the wall into the West German side and being able to see the freedom and prosperity on display. Hardly a gratifying experience for the people caught on the wrong side.
    Read more