Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 2

    Berlin Wall

    December 18, 2019 in Germany ⋅ ☁️ 8 °C

    The Berlin Wall was a guarded concrete barrier that physically and ideologically divided Berlin from 1961 to 1989. Construction of the Wall was commenced by the German Democratic Republic (GDR, East Germany) on 13 August 1961. The Wall cut off West Berlin from surrounding East Germany, including East Berlin.
    The barrier included guard towers placed along large concrete walls, accompanied by a wide area (later known as the "death strip") that contained anti-vehicle trenches, "fakir beds", and other defenses.

    The Eastern Bloc portrayed the Wall as protecting its population from fascist elements conspiring to prevent the "will of the people" in building a socialist state in East Germany.
    Throughout Berlin the old wall can be traced by a line of cobblestones that outline the exact presence of the wall before it was demolished.
    There are many fascinating stories of people who escaped from the East to the West including tunnels, zip lines from the adjacent building seen in one of the photos and hot air balloons.
    A personal regret was being unable to visit the East whilst the wall was still standing as it was possible to take a day visa and visit although our guide also informed us that many West Germans had businesses in the East and would travel there each day to work.
    Read more