Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 3

    Ensenada, Mexico

    January 17, 2023 in Mexico ⋅ ☁️ 64 °F

    Yes, We are STILL in NORTH AMERICA: Mexico: "the belly button of the moon" (many interpretations), 3x the size of Texas & 127 million people, and the 4th largest movie making place in the world.

    Just like old home week, as we get on the ship we are greeted by old friends, entertainers that remembered us (and stayed in touch) from our trip to Alaska. Casey and Robbie said its so nice to have family aboard and then called us mom and dad (good to have family everywhere). We also know the Food & Beverage manager, and the wonderful musicians that play the cello and the viola of the string quartet!

    What have we been doing for 5 days? Exercising, eating, lectures, eating, learning bridge, eating, book club, eating and lots of music. We finally arrived in Ensenada (1/17) and walked around town, chatted with locals about traveling around the world. They thought I was a scientist.

    So who knew we could find Mexico interesting. Here’s what I found out: Mexico is the 15th larges country in the world, with 122 million people and the median age is 28, lots of industry and agriculture but more than 20% of its revenue comes from oil, US second largest export market and third largest source of imports, and two beloved Aztec emperors were names Montezuma (so why do they call bathroom issues his “revenge”).

    The Mexican Riviera became popular because of the Love Boat and refers to 8 areas we are going to the first six (Ensenada, Manzanillo, Zihuatanejo, Acapulco, Cabo, Mazatlán, PV, Huatulco). Mescal comes from Oaxaca from 5 different types of agave, but Tequila (first Don Pedro in 1600, Cuervo was 1795) is from Jalisco and has to be at least 51% blue agave. Tequila became very popular in the U.S. during The Depression since it made its way across the border.
    Current challenge: the agave plant (40-70 lbs), takes 15 lbs to produce 1 liter of Tequila and because of weather and disease, there is just not enough of it.

    Ensenada is the 3rd largest city in Baja California, 78 miles from SD and known for fishing, tourism, aerospace center, naval base and for wine and olives. Spanish, Russian and American influences. Known for tacos, margarita, and ceviche, all “invented” here.

    After our day in Ensenada, walking around town, in the rain but meeting a few interesting store owners that wanted to chat about our itinerary ... it was quiet, except for those early risers that wanted a Margarita in the town it was invented. I waited for Mexican night!

    Funny story, you know how when you give US dollars in a foreign country, they usually give you back local currency that you don't want? Well, my wonderful wife had little baggies with local currency we have accumulated from traveling. I gave the bus driver pesos, he gave me a strange look, and after consulting with other drivers, he gave me change in US dollars!!

    Money grows on the walls in Mexico (photo 3)
    Look who was in a store in Ensenada (photo 5)
    Old Friends (photo 6)
    Must Be the Blue Agave (photo 7)
    Read more