Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 24

    Coquimbo, Chile - part 2

    February 7, 2023 in Chile ⋅ ☁️ 63 °F

    Gabriela Mistral is a Chilean Poet that won the Nobel Prize for her powerful, very emotional poetry and she came from this area (Vicuna). There are many tributes to her including this fountain where people come for inspiration. She was born here in 1889 and many of her writings were inspired by the landscape here. (photos 1 and 2)

    Elqui Valley: the first International Dark Skies Sanctuary in the World. This valley is irrigated by Rio Elqui water that comes down from the Andes and for some reason is known for the clearest skies. This Dark Sky Sanctuary is world known and the observatory here (since 1965) has discovered 5 asteroids, a supernova and the Gomez Hamburger (a young star, 900 light years away). There are even lighting regulations here to limit the ambient city lights in the streets and homes to certain types and strengths of lighting in order to allow everyone to see the bright skies. (photos 3 and 4)

    La Mezquita- the only Moroccan Cultural Center and Mosque in Latin America (photo 5)

    The shoreline and area where we docked. (photo 6)

    Known for their beaches in this part of Peru. (photo 7)

    No, I didn't go sailing! (photo 8)

    A lovely lunch and more Pisco Sours! (photos 9, 10 and 11)

    Local craft area (photos 12 and 13)

    The landscape as we drive back to the ship. (photos 14, 15 and 16)
    Read more