Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 38

    Falkland Islands - 1 of 3 PENGUINS

    February 21, 2023 in Falkland Islands ⋅ 🌬 55 °F

    We made it to the Atlantic Ocean. We were very lucky to land here in 40 knot winds since there are such heavy winds up to 115 knots (averaging 60 knots) that at leave half the ships that come here must turn back. The wind is so strong that we had to park cars into the wind or risk losing your car door or worse.

    We arrived at Stanley (with tenders from the ship), the capital and although the temperatures have warmed up as we move north (40’s), I had to change to long pants to spend the day with the Penguins. The population of the Falklands is 3,600 pop (plus 2,000 military) with origins from 86 countries) although at least half the residents have been here for many generations)! There are 2 main islands and 700 small ones (none with trees). The diddle-dee plant is native here and is used to produce jam (yes, we had to buy diddle dee jam).

    As you would guess, their revenue is from fishing, tourism and some farming. Education is important and the government pays for students to further their college and graduate studies in the UK. The UK is an 18 hour (and approx. $2000) flight away… not easy to get to.

    Enjoy our visit with the Gentoo Penguins!
    Read more