Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 67

    Abidjan, Cote d’Ivoire (Ivory Coast) 2

    March 22, 2023 in Ivory Coast ⋅ ☁️ 86 °F

    20 photos plus 2 videos at the end

    Our next stop was the Assoyam Beach Resort where we had lunch and walked on the beach. I spent some time having an interesting discussion with a person I met who was here for a convention on social protection for those that live in “French countries” when they travel the world. It was very interesting. I finally made it back to lunch which was quite a large meal with something for everyone to eat and drink. No time to swim in the Ocean but we did get to walk on the beach and check out the wares.

    We saw many Mango trees originally planted in 1898 by the Governor. We were told that even though there are many mango trees here, you see palms and some yucca trees (in places as they were used for many years as grave markers). Many were still there and producing fruit from over 100 years ago. We went to the Artisanal Center to see the craft market which had scarves, wickerwork, ceramics, batik, and brass carvings. For a week every year, tribes are invited to the sacred forest. We were going to pass the Sacred Forest… but our police escort missed it. Instead, we heard all about it as we continued our weaving through traffic.

    Our next stop on the way back was Cocod, a suburb of and a beautiful wealthy area, totally different from the areas we were in for almost the entire day. It is where the business people, ambassadors, and other affluent people live in Abidjan. The Université Félix Houphouët-Boigny is also located in Cocody. We stopped at St Pauls Cathedral, a very large modern Catholic Cathedral (14,000 sq feet) with room for 5,000, designed by Italian architect Aldo Spirito, and this $12 million church was dedicated in 1985 by Pope John Paul II.
    Read more