Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 72

    Crossing the Equator - King Neptune

    March 27, 2023 in São Tomé and Príncipe ⋅ ⛅ 84 °F

    At exactly 4:15pm, we experienced the Crossing Equator Ceremony called the Order of the Shellback. It started as a tradition in the 19th Century (and was continued by the US Navy in WWII), created by seasoned sailors as a test of new shipmates, to ensure they were capable of handling long, difficult times at sea (or as the story goes, to please King Neptune). Sailors who have already crossed the equator are called Trusty Shellbacks (Sons of Neptune), while those who have not crossed are called Slimy Pollywogs (Wogs).

    The initiation converts inexperienced Wogs into experienced Shellbacks using “physical assaults” (cracking eggs, shave cream on their heads, pasta, cornstarch, rotting garbage, beatings and many other more gruesome experiences). Since the 1980’s the ceremony is more tame.

    After which, the Pollywogs receive subpoenas to appear before King Neptune and Highness Amphitrite, and the Royal Baby and other pirates. They finish the ritual and receive their certificate and entrance into the Shellbacks …. Never to have to do that again.

    The final picture was taken in December 2018 when Bruce, Karen and Lee crossed the equator while in the Orient. We used this “cleaned up” photo (we were originally covered with much more waste) for thank you notes for several years.

    17 photos, followed by 2 videos, and then 1 photo.
    Read more