Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 81

    Cape Town, South Africa - Museums 2 of 2

    April 5, 2023 in South Africa ⋅ ☀️ 77 °F

    The “race classification” board (1959-1991) was created for formal humiliating hearings as blacks came before a panel to argue about what "race" they should be labelled. Aparteid Population Registration Act classified every South African as belonging to one of at least seven "races" and accordingly granted or denied them citizenship rights on a sliding scale from "White" (full rights) to "Bantu" (with the fewest). The classification was subjective, and families were split apart when pale or darker skinned children or parents - or those with curlier hair, or different features – were placed in separate categories.

    We then visited the first black church in South Africa, which is now a museum for African art and exhibits. Very interesting and powerful.

    Our visit to the Iziko (in isiXhosa means health) Museum https://www.iziko.org.za/ was part of our Garden tour and is the center of the complex of 11 National museums. We went to the gallery and enjoyed some very unique historical and contemporary art. See the photos of some selected pieces we enjoyed. Don’t miss Messages from the Moat.
    Read more