Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 121

    George Town, Penang, Malaysia - 2 of 3

    May 15, 2023 in Malaysia ⋅ ☁️ 88 °F

    The remainder of our walking through George Town was taking in the culture and architecture that made this beautiful city a UNESCO site. The artwork on the wall is very unique and special. In 2012 Lithuanian artist Ernest Zacharevic created a series of 6 wall paintings depicting local culture, inhabitants, and lifestyles as well as several wrought iron caricatures each detailing the city's history and the daily lives of its inhabitant. He did a street art project named “Mirrors George Town" to show the diversified culture of the city. The paintings are gigantic and spread color around Penang (see all of our photos).

    Another project, “Marking George Town'' was started in 2008 with an aim to give a unique identity to everyday life in Georgetown with steel art sculptures. Four artists, Baba Chuah, Julian “Lefty” Kam, Reggie Lee and Tang Mun Kian contributed to give George Town a new dimension with 52 steel art sculptures. Some of the very famous steel art pieces are: Jimmy Choo (yes, he is from here), Happy Hour, Cannon Hole, and No ‘Plastic’ Bag.

    There were so many more pieces of artwork on the walls of the city that we couldn't attempt to capture all this beauty.
    Read more