Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 122

    Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia - 1 of 3

    May 16, 2023 in Malaysia ⋅ ☀️ 88 °F

    Selamat Pagi - Good Morning in Malay

    Kuala Lumpur covers 94 square miles and has a population of 2 million. The Federal Territory of Kuala Lumpur (we docked at Port Klang) is 8.6 million people in 2,000 square miles and growing at an incredible pace.

    Since trade was much easier “South of the Wind” in the protected Malay peninsula, Malaysia grew all in the 20th Century. Their national identify is defined by their cultural identity. Malays came from Sumatra building on the culture of Penang (Chinese, Muslim and Hindu). Only in the last 50 years has Southeast Asia moved from many of its traditional ways to be more of a modern economic driver in the World.

    Kuala Lumpur is a melting pot of Southeast Asia where many different races and cultures and a growing economy. Kuala Lumpur or “muddy estuary” was not a popular place until 1857 when it became the tin mining town for the area since it was the furthest point up the Klang River to which supplies could be brought by boat, and so it became a collection and dispersal point.

    It is a federal territory and capital of Malaysia and one of the fastest growing cities in Asia. In 1957, the Federation of Malaya gained its independence from British rule but although there had been race rioting and unrest here in the 50’s and 60’s (in particular in 1969) between Malay and Chinese communities over Malaysian status in the city, the city now is in better harmony. Currently there are 63% Malay and 25% Chinese and 7% Indian although 45% of the wealth is Chinese and 25% Malay. The city remains the economic and business hub of the country and the center for finance, banking (large number of foreign banks and Islamic financing), insurance, real estate, media and the arts for Malaysia. Architecture (mostly since the end of the 19th Century) is a very interesting mix of colonial, traditional Asian, Malay Islamic, and modern contemporary reflects the history of Kuala Lumpur and modern times.
    Read more