Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 123

    Singapore - Night time nature (2 of 2)

    May 17, 2023 in Singapore ⋅ ☁️ 88 °F

    We decided to take an adventure this evening and got a cab to the Mandai Wildlife Reserve Night Safari in Singapore. It was a 45-minute ride but once we got there well worth it. Billed as the World’s First Nocturnal Wildlife Park, this zoo is ONLY open at night. We went on the Night Safari to see the many animals that are most active at night. Singapore supported building of a nocturnal park in Singapore in 1994 for $63 million and occupies 86 acres of houses over 900 animals representing over 100 species, of which 41% are threatened species. Unlike traditional nocturnal houses, which reverse the day-night cycle of animals so they will be active by day, the Night Safari is an entire open-air zoo set in a humid tropical forest that is only open at night between 7pm and 12midnight. It is divided into six geographical zones, which can be explored either on foot via four walking trails, or by tram in the dimly lit park so as not to disturb the animals. These nocturnal creatures that sleep during the day can only be seen like this. We started with a presentation and overviews called Creatures of the Night which was more of a show to see how animals are trained. Then we took the 30-minute tram around the park in the dark to see the wildlife, upfront and person with no barriers between us and them.

    The animals of the Night Safari, ranging from axis deer and African buffalo to Indian rhinoceros and pangolins to lions and Asian elephants, are made visible by lighting that resembles moonlight it is dim enough not to disturb animal behavior. The open zoo concept animals in enclosures by hidden moats instead of cages. The naturalistic enclosures simulate the animals' native habitat. Animals are separated from visitors with natural barriers, cattle grids were laid all over the park to prevent hoofed animals from moving one habitat to another. Moats were designed to look like streams and rivers to enable animals to be put on show in open areas.

    We opted to do the tram a second time and saw some animals that had been sleeping were now eating or roaming around.

    A fun evening and will plan to go to the zoo during the day the next time we are in Singapore.
    Read more