Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 135

    Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam - MASSAGES

    May 29, 2023 in Vietnam ⋅ ☁️ 90 °F

    Day 2 in Ho Chi Minh City (Saigon) - We were here 6 years ago and seen the “tourist sites”. Yesterday we took a tour and went to the Museum and the Caves as well as drove around town for a long day here (see posting), so we decided today would be an easy day of walking around. What a strange day. Why?

    - We are in Saigon. Always torn as to how Americans feel coming back to this city after “The Conflict”.
    - Today is Memorial Day in the United States - a day where we are usually with American Flags at a parade and BBQ … neither today.
    - We have just spent an entire 10 hour day immersed in discussions of the war, visiting the disturbing government museum that very blatantly exhibits a one sided story of how Americans “acted inappropriately” here with very graphic illustrations of “what we did”.
    - We went to the jungles and caves where the VC hid, areas where torture went on. We saw the actual torture devices and devices used to camouflage and then kill soldiers in ways that are beyond almost anyone’s imagination.
    - So what do you do as a dichotomy from this? Get an incredibly, indulging massage in Vietnam!
    - That’s what we did!

    The Vietnamese style of massage is rooted in Chinese (and a few Thai, Japanese and Swedish) traditions. Focused on working out knots in muscles through kneading techniques, the prime focus is de-stressing the body (most people are more familiar with Thai massages using muscle stretching techniques). The traditional Vietnamese massage technique, or “Tam quat” (body), is a technique focusing on stimulating blood circulation by punching and clapping on the treatment areas. It relieves pain by putting pressure directly on the afflicted muscle to help you relaxed. We did have lots of punching and clapping/percussion! Other techniques they applied with oils were sustained hand-palm pressure, acupressure on Qi acupoints (using thumbs, fingers, and knuckles), and a variety of stretches.

    Our therapists (I had a woman and Karen had a man) began with cucumber wrap on our faces. Then they focused on the scalp, back, neck, shoulders, and head for immediate relaxation. After working rather intensely on the back muscles and spinal region, our legs and feet were treated to an incredible foot massage and reflexology, cracking every toe “knuckle” and massaging every nook and cranny. This was followed by legs, arms, hands, stomach, and chest. Next were hot stone treatment on our backs …oooooh.

    Were we done? Oh no! The last step of the treatment was when our therapists climbed all over us with their knees, legs, arms, elbows, and feet. Yes, they walked on our backs and cracked parts that I didn’t think are supposed to crack! After that up close and personal adventure, she picked me up on her back (back to back) and pulled me and stretched my body over hers. Hard to describe. When she was done and let me down, I asked this, petite girl, if I hurt her. In her “only English words the entire session, she said, “Yes, you killed me!”. I thought I might have. Whew, we were finished.

    Wow, this full 90+ minute massage surely relaxed, and invigorated, relieved foot pain I had as well as neck issues and detoxed, “cleared” my digestive system out (if you know what I mean), and relaxed both of us (hard to stand up) but then gave us energy to sprint back to the ship that was leaving in half an hour!

    Now, that was a fun experience....... I feel great the next day (when I am writing this footprint).
    Read more