Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 147

    Kaohsiung, Taiwan - Confucius 3 of 3

    June 10, 2023 in Taiwan ⋅ ☁️ 88 °F

    We also visited a Confucian Temple in Taiwan. Confucius was born in 552 BC and died at 73. He was a philosopher and spent his life teach everyone believing everyone could/should learn based upon his natural ability. This was the first official Confucious Temple, built in the Period of the Koxinga at a time in the Quing Dynasty where every town had to build a school and a Temple. During the time of Japanese rule, it was used for many things until it was reclaimed by the Republic of China. We saw this Temple, built in 1684, as well as another Temple here that was built here in 1974 and is 6000 square meters and along the Lotus Lake. Some of the instruments used in ceremonies are Bianqing and Te Zhong bells. The style here replicates the Temple in Cyufu Shandong, a Palace in Northern China.

    The worship rites to Confucius are the Shidian ritual held twice a year including 9/28, Confucius’ birthday.

    There are many similarities and differences between Buddhism, Confucianism and Taoism but they all focus on a meaningful and fulfilling life. Confucianism focuses on societal rules and moral values, whereas Taoism focuses on simplicity and living happily while in tune with nature and Buddhism reiterates the ideas of suffering, impermanence of material items, and reincarnation while stressing the idea of the life beyond.

    The difference between ignorance and enlightenment is in realization of the present moment!
    Read more