Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 160

    Aomori, Japan - "NEW" TEMPLE 2 of 3

    June 23, 2023 in Japan ⋅ 🌧 66 °F

    We spent the remainder of the day learning about the “modern-day” Buddhism in Japan. We visited Japan’s tallest seated Buddha statue (70 feet) at the Seiryu-ji temple. Known as the Temple of the blue green dragon, it is made of cypress (covered in the surrounding area) as the smell permeates the entire complex.

    The Showa Daibutsu Buddha is the highlight of this ”new” Temple built in 1984. Although Buddhism began in Japan in the 6th Century and has remained an important part of the governing on the Country which Is often based upon teachings of Buddhism, the World has changed. There are those that believe strongly feel that the current corruption of people’s minds, and the spread of increase material desires, increased competition and crime has created an environment where many people have moved away from Buddhist study.

    As best stated, “Because of economic supreme principle and utilitarianism as main values since the post war time”, we have moved to a World that values “More Money Less Peace of Minds”.

    The reason for building this NEW Temple, is to bring back the original meaningful values of Buddhism. We walked the peaceful grounds and learned all about the various areas. First, we saw the Kondo main hall center of the Temple grounds where many visit and pray and many and ceremonies are held. Then, even in the rain, we got to experience the beautiful gardens, the karesansui-sekitei sea/pond stones, sand that represent life in harmony. We saw the statue of Kannon, erected to grant old people life. Our tour guide could not remember the word used to describe the goal of the Statue. She looked it up and it was “dementia”.

    The five story 180 foot pagoda was another highlight, representing elements earth, fire, water, wind and sky. One of the other activities that is offered is the ability to sit in a Zen Temple for meditation or to copy Sutra. Even non-followers, pray for peace and health for family members and people around them by tracing letters of the Sutra. The benefits include, calming the mind, clearing mental clutter and great posture. Lastly, we visited the Daishido, which is the is Shrine and burial place of the founder Acharya Ryukou.

    Of course the Showa daibutsu great buddha was so impressive and moving. It is a 70’ high statue of Dainichi Nyorai who represents the virtue of truth of the universe.
    Read more