Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 162

    Kushiro, Japan - LAST STOP in JAPAN

    June 25, 2023 in Japan ⋅ ⛅ 66 °F

    Kushiro city, in eastern Hokkaido, is in northern Japan. It is situated along both banks of the Kushiro River where the river empties into the Pacific Ocean. It is home to Japan’s largest marshland and to Japanese cranes. These beautiful birds were featured in old Japanese art but had almost disappeared by the early 1900’s. In 1924 locals discovered about 10 cranes in a marsh and although the crane population is still low, these birds have made a comeback thanks to sanctuaries such as the reserve.

    We spent the day roaming around on our own. First we went with Tim and Krista as the two ladies were in search of a nail salon. We did find two after taking a taxi and getting lots of directions but both could not fit us in until too close to all aboard time. So then we visited some local stores to see what this town in Japan thought were important products to sell. Interesting visit to their “department store”. Of course we didn’t buy anything but alcohol - Sake, Cava, and Lemoncello!

    The people here are so friendly and try to be so helpful …albeit communications can be challenging in that we found the Japanese do not speak much, if any, English (even the young folk). We did get our names written in Japanese by a few lovely school girls. Karen did a few interviews with some children that wanted to practice some English and we met up with Casey later and walked around and purchased more Sake and Plum WIne (who knew Casey was going to serve it at my Birthday Party).

    The day ended with some wonderful music provided on the dock as we said goodbye and sailed away from Japan.
    Read more