Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 6

    NEW YORK - A GREAT DAY

    July 24, 2023 in the United States ⋅ ⛅ 82 °F

    The day began with a NYC Subway ride down to Ground Zero. As we have just come back from seeing the ”subways of the world”, New York looked a little “dingy” and is not always on-time (or with room to add another person) but there was no beating the NYC Subway Tile Walls. The ones shown here at the WTC exit have been here many years although many beautiful tiles and designs were lost along with the underground mall and subway system that collapsed on 9/11.

    We then visited the Occulus and as the morning commuters went flying by. We watched as one worker stopped to play the piano there left for the public to play in this large mall and subway intersection. The Occulus represents, folded hands, a dove, the bones of the city, unity or just the perfect spot where the sun shines in on 9/11. Later, after the tour (see posting), Lee took us to see Saint Nicholas, which was just completed on the WTC Acreage, a beautiful little Greek Orthodox Church and National Shrine. We visited the WTC Sphere or Koenig Sphere, which represented peace and commerce worldwide and used to sit in the center of the original WTC Plaza (I used to eat lunch sitting at the Sphere). We also visited the little known Anne Frank tree that grew from seed planted here from a tree at Anne Franks house (similar to the seeds provided by the survivors tree to other places of tragedy across the world). We saw the New World Trade Center and then visited some of the sculptures around the WTC Complex. Included was the new installation of Earth Poetica depicting the earth made of garbage. More poignant today after seeing the World, and the good, the bad and the ugly of pollution worldwide. We also saw the next sculpture. A Wild Life of Wildlife which represents exhibits using wildlife In funny settings.

    Last but clearly not least was a wonderful evening of theater. After dinner, Lee took us to “his” theater to see “Just For Us” with Alex Edelman. We received the Royal Treatment. First we were taken to the Ambassador Lounge for drinks. This private club over the theater is for VIPS of the Hudson. Today we had were treated by all of Lees colleagues in the theater as VIPS. Everyone loves and respects Lee there and we felt that love as we had drinks and enjoyed the atmosphere and photographs. Then we thoroughly enjoyed the show with great orchestra seats. We laughed, we cried, we felt the deep meaning of the content of this show and had a great time. Whew!
    Read more