Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 66

    Haikou, China

    February 21, 2015 in China ⋅ ⛅ 79 °F

    February 21.
    Haikou is the capital and most populous city of Hainan province, People’s Republic of China with about 2,000,000 people. The southern end of the Hainan province is considered the Hawaii of China. I’m not sure we agreed with that, but hey, our standards are a bit different.
    We were only here a short time, but we wandered into a park, and it being a Saturday morning during the Chinese New Year celebration, it was packed! There were probably 8-10 dance events taking place. We weren’t sure if these were classes, had someone leading a group or werjust for fun. As we continued to wander through the park, there was croquet, numerous pingpong games, cards and ball games involving 2-3 people. Then we came upon an area that had dozens of pieces of permanent exercise equipment – all in use! It was fascinating!
    The only ones having a better time than us, were all the locals taking pictures of us!
    There was even one mother that gathered her childen around us to get a photo. So, if you see us on Facebook, don’t be surprised!
    In any case, this fairly busy city broke us in to the crowds we will encounter in Hong Kong tomorrow. We have become fairly complacent, sailing around small islands here and there throughout our trip. Even some of the bigger cities didn’t seem too intense. We’ll let you know how it goes.
    The first photo is of a very active pingpong game. The second is the exercise area in action and the third is one of the dance events, all three photos in the park.
    Read more