Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 8

    Pamplona to Puenta la Reina

    September 14, 2023 in Spain ⋅ ☀️ 73 °F

    Day 4 and I'm already taking some views for granted. But that's okay as I'm enjoying more of the random conversations with other pilgrims. Nancy from L.A., who's married with three kids, one of whom will join her in Leon; Katrina, a fifth grade teacher from Brisbane who is traveling solo; tonight's bartender, who relocated from Madrid after visiting Hotel Jakue on his Camino last year, and Robert from London, who is grieving his girlfriend of 20 years who died in 2022. Lots of people and stories.

    The 15-mile walk itself was rigorous, out of the city and up the mountain where the windmills and pilgrim statues--along with a love/peace/coffee bus run by a couple who only aim to recoup their costs--are, then down a rocky slope and through small towns. We were soooo ready for the finish line. Saw an inviting refuge (aka outdoor bar) when we got to the outskirts of town and were so excited to learn it was actually part of our hotel for the night! It is also an albergue/hostal, so it's been a good place to see and talk to other pilgrims (the Sercotel in Pamplona, not so much!).
    Read more