Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 32–33

    Long, steep walk to O'Cebreiro

    October 8, 2023 in Spain ⋅ ☀️ 79 °F

    Didn't expect today to be our most demanding day, but we like the scenic detours and they come at a price!

    Left our town at 7:15 am when it was still dark and climbed about 4 miles straight up a mountain. The optional ascent added an hour to our stage but the views and quietness (only saw three others on the way) were spectacular. Later joined the main route, which also involved a very steep climb (another 4-ish miles straight up) at the end. Had to stop mid-trail several times to catch our breath. Reached our destination after 5 pm, making it my longest day of work since I retired!

    Of note, we have left Castilla y Leon behind and are now in Galicia, which shares traditions and culture with other Celtic regions. Strange (and cool!) to hear *Irish* music and bagpipes when we entered O'Cebreiro. (Fyi, we had to taxi to another town for a hotel but will get dropped back where we left off tomorrow morning.)

    Met up with friends who we expect to see many more times in our final week on the Camino. Hard to believe we have been gone for a month--but at the same time, St. Jean Pied-de-Port seems like a lifetime ago.
    Read more