Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 19

    Beach club day

    April 9, 2022 in Mexico ⋅ ⛅ 73 °F

    Beaches in Mexico are all public, but clubs have been built up everywhere so access to them is difficult. But the beach clubs are a pretty sweet affordable deal. You “rent out” a lounge chair and umbrella and they assign you a waiter - not a bad way to spend the day. So that’s what we did today. We found the water wasn’t near as seaweed covered earlier in the day (before the surf stirred it all up) so we actually enjoyed playing in the water some.

    Many parts of Mexico are victim to a drug turf war right now. One cartel has always been in control, but during covid, a second one has tried to move in. Apparently, they are having quite the war - literally shoot outs on the beaches, the streets or in restaurants, per google. They are going after each other, but tourists are getting caught in the crossfire. We obviously haven’t seen any of this, everything seems fine and normal - but what we do see is a HUGE police presence everywhere. Police, national guard, you name it — they’re on patrol with VERY big guns. In a way, it’s comforting. I assume, hopefully, they’re presence is a deterrent for real trouble.

    All in all, a very relaxing day.
    Read more