Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 38

    Liberia, Costa Rica

    April 28, 2022 in Costa Rica ⋅ ⛅ 90 °F

    Today was a travel day. We moved from La Fortuna in the mountains to Liberia which was in the NW corner of the country, closer to the coast. We took a shared shuttle again, and the drive was dangerous, but fairly pleasant. We are down more in pastureland now instead of jungles and it’s much hotter. 98 today. On the freeways there are stands where people sell fresh squeezed juices, and all the streets are lined to help the blind. US could learn from this.

    When we went to do zip lining I looked up the safety of it
    (Because the day we went, a teenager fell out of his harness. Lived but seriously injured. Not at our park, but still) … interestingly I found out the leading cause of death here is car accidents. Clearly. The combination of tourists driving slowly, locals who want to get places VERY quickly, and the REALLY narrow, curvy mountainous roads … well, I can see it. So apparently I risked my life 10 fold today making this drive compared to zip lining.

    The shuttle buses have a great system. They pick up at hotels and then meet in a centralized location, and then everyone switches vans to go onward. When we stopped for our break and to switch vans, there were monkeys and Macaws flying everywhere!! So happy. I had wanted to see parrots and hadn’t yet.

    And our hostel in Liberia is awesome!! We have a private room, with AC, outdoor kitchen and these beautiful hammocks in the shade to hang out in all for $25 a night. Going to make dinner in tonight for the first time. Pura Vida!
    Read more