Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 56

    Porto

    May 16, 2022 in Portugal ⋅ ⛅ 68 °F

    Miles: 8.10 Steps: 19411
    Flights stairs: 34

    We really enjoyed our full day in Porto today, even with the bad weather. It started out rainy and cold but finished with beautiful blue skies.

    We apparently feel the need to climb every tower we find … so climbed another one here. 241 steps to the top and the bells started ringing while we were on it!!

    Portugal is known for their use of ceramic tiles on their buildings - particularly light blue designs. Very pretty. So we went to their train station which was decorated everywhere with them. You’ll also find them on the outside of so many buildings.

    There were a lot of cathedrals here, but only chose to visit a few this time - tried to find the ones that were unique, or different from what we had already seen.

    Then we headed to the water to finally cross the Dom Luis I bridge. We walked across the bottom level (for pedestrians and cars), walked on the other side of the river, took a gondola 🚠 up the hillside, and then walked across the top level (pedestrians and metro trains). Great views from up there!

    Little known fact, JK Rowling, author of the Harry Potter series lived in Porto when she began writing. Many of the things here in the city are credited as her inspiration for her books — and as we walked around, we could definitely see it. We felt as if we were actually in a Harry Potter novel at times. (Even more than the Harry Potter land in California!) There is a book store here where she used to do a lot of her writing, that has these amazing staircases — which again, are a thing in the books. You have to pay to get into the bookstore now because of the draw to see it (entrance goes toward price of a book if you buy one tho so..) so with Jordan being a HUGE Harry Potter fan, we couldn’t pass it up. Amazing store.
    Read more