Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 58

    Wonderful day in Lisbon!

    May 18, 2022 in Portugal ⋅ ☀️ 73 °F

    Miles: 5.94 Steps: 15110
    Flights stairs: 16

    What a great day we had in Lisbon today!!! This city is VERY magical. We got away from old town and went down to the waterfront to explore more.

    Two things in history are noteworthy here: there was a massive earthquake in 1755 that almost completely demolished the entire city. Everything is measured before or after that quake. And they are very proud of their overthrow of the evil dictator, Salazar. The suspension bridge is named “25 of April” - the day they executed him.

    We found the “pink street” which used to be the red light district and then took the old fashioned tram to the Jeronimos Monestary - it and we saw the Tomb of Vasco de Gama! Next door was the Monument of the discoveries - a very tall monument in the shape of a sailing ship with 33 sculptures carved into it - Henry the Navigator up front and 16 more on each side. One side were all famous poets and artists of the day, the other all navigators and sailors. We went to the top - finally this time in an elevator! What a view!

    We found some comfy chairs on the waterfront and Jordan got some wine, me a pina colada and we just sat in the sun for a couple hours. Jordan is good for me - she reminds me of the need to just sit back, do nothing, and just take in wherever we are.

    We finished off our evening with a sailboat sunset cruise. It was very surreal … and gorgeous. Perfect weather - 75, no humidity, and picture perfect sky. We had the best seats, riding up on the bow. He was under sail most of the trip - a first for both of us. What a day!
    Read more