Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 81

    Last day in Venice

    June 10, 2022 in Italy ⋅ ⛅ 79 °F

    Miles: 6.66 Steps: 15239
    Flights stairs: 7

    Today was our last day in Venice. The weather was beautiful again, which was a nice way to end. We went up to Saint Mark’s Camponile - it’s the bell tower in Saint Mark’s square, and is the tallest building in Venice. It was built in the 1500’s, but collapsed in 1902. They rebuilt it in 1912. We didn’t have to climb it this time - they have an elevator now that gets you to the top.

    We also went to the St Mark’s Basilica - it was a bit disappointing in that you couldn’t sit down at all to fully enjoy it, and it was really crowded. Actually I found Venice strange in that there was little in the way of benches or anything to sit on. And if you found a place to sit, on steps for example, there were hired people walking around telling you to stand up. Made it tough.

    We headed back to our campground during the afternoon and swam a bit in the pool. Was a refreshing break. ! Then we get headed back to the city to see Venice in the night - very nice. Wandered the canals, saw St Marks square lit up and rode a water taxi one last time down the grand canal.

    Venice was amazing - so unique and definitely a bucket list item checked off.
    Read more