Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 121

    Vatican City & Rome

    July 20, 2022 in Vatican City ⋅ ☀️ 93 °F

    Miles: 8.4 Steps: 19927
    Flights stairs: 20

    We got up early and headed to the Vatican Museum to see the Sistine Chapel. It’s been a must see for awhile. The series of Museums is overwhelming - reminded me of the Louve. Just too much to see there. It was an amazing complex tho, and to finally see the ceiling in the chapel was incredible. I actually shot one video before I found out it was not allowed - so not too many pics, but still amazing.

    After hours wandering the museums we headed back to our room to cool down (surprised the museum was not air conditioned, actually) and take a rest. We went back out later hoping it would cool down some for our visit to the Roman Forum and Palentine Hill, but not so lucky. The heat here is definitely taking away from our experience - at times you just want to get thru things as fast as possible just to get back to the coolness.

    The heatwave here is real - we read today that 1900 people have died in Europe from the heat. Mostly Portugal, France, UK and Spain as they don’t really have any air conditioning. And I’m really glad we had already gotten thru those places because very true, we had no air conditioning there and even at reasonable temps it was pretty unbearable in our rooms. Scary situation. If we didn’t have air here in Rome. I don’t know what we’d be doing.

    Seeing the ruins was really amazing - so odd to wander around and know you’re seeing things over 2000 years old.
    Read more