Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 170

    Hurghada, Egypt

    September 7, 2022 in Egypt ⋅ ☀️ 93 °F

    We left Luxor today and headed for Hurghada - a resort city in eastern Egypt on the Red Sea. It’s a vacation place for Egyptians for the most part, as well as some Europeans. It was a 5 1/2 hour bus ride - we were nervous about the quality of the bus, especially if there was going to be air conditioning or not - but it actually was pretty good.

    Hurghada is right across the Red Sea from the Sinai Peninsula. This area has had a history of terrorist issues - but none since 2017. Tho I think this area is probably more secure now than where I live back home. They have a gate out front and checked our Uber for bombs before they let him in (mirror on a stick that they look at the underside of the vehicle). We experienced that a few times in Jordan as well. Very odd, but glad they are checking. We also had to go thru numerous metal detectors on the way in and our bags were scanned. They’re being very careful with who they allow in these resorts.

    Watching the terrain change as we drove here was incredible. We went thru the lush fields near the Nile, to desert, to rocks, to mountains and then back to sand and desert before reaching the Red Sea.

    We’re staying at a resort - dated, but not too bad, considering our budget. We’re so tired of the food in Egypt. We really haven’t enjoyed a meal since we left Greece. In Egypt, they TRY to make western food, but it just isn’t right. It’s like having a hamburger at a Mexican restaurant. It’s just not right. We’ve been in the Middle East for almost a month (if you count Turkey) - I guess we’ll survive another week, but we sure miss Europe’s cuisine.

    So we were excited to be at this resort but Egypt is nothing but consistent. Even here, the buffet is just not good at all. 😢 So we’ll enjoy the drinks, the pool, the activities and the beach and call it good!
    Read more