Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 49

    Tailor Time

    October 31, 2016 in Vietnam ⋅ ⛅ 28 °C

    Our 2nd full day in Hoi An and our main goal today was to find a good tailor and get some stuff made. We had numerous recommendations from our hotel, our private car driver and friends, so I did the good tourist thing and looked on Trip Advisor to determine which one had the highest rating.

    Being one who never likes making a decision without knowing all the facts, we decided to select the top 5 on trip advisor and go to each one to look at fabrics and the quality of the service. We went to the top rated shop first called "Huang Tailors" and as soon as we walked in the door we were instantly approached and then followed around the store by numerous assistants. Jamie wasnt keen on the fabrics there and I wasnt keen on being stalked, so we left the shop whilst being hounded to stay by various people. Our next stop was a few doors down and Minh Hin Tailors who were recommended by our private driver the day before. In contrast with the pushiness of the first shop, the ladies in here welcomed us with water and encouraged us to sit while we discussed what we wanted. 1 hour later, Jamie had picked out his suit and shirt colours (we even managed to convince him not just white shirts which he originally wanted) and I had designed a dress to wear to Liza and Pavels wedding in February. Before we committed, we went and had another Vietnamese coffee to discuss the choices to make sure we were happy before we went ahead.

    The coffee worked wonders and we made our way back to the shop. It was approximately 11.30am at this point and they asked us to come back at 6pm that night for our first fitting. Just crazy! So we set out on the Hoi An streets to explore to fill in time before 6pm. The weather was a bit iffy today so we spent the majority of our time in the old town checking out the local shops and markets while having a mojito here and there in between tropical downpours. We went and checked out the Japanese Bridge which you have to pay to go on but if you walk to the next street and cut down a side alley you come out on the other side of the bridge where there are no ticket checks. Bonus. On the other side of the bridge there is a small touristy street filled with the normal tourist attire. We wandered the street and came across the cutest sight I think I have ever seen, 3 vietnamese babies in walkers racing and chasing each other down the road. If my ovaries were not in overdrive already by all the cuteness I had seen so far, they definetely were now. I stopped to play with one of the babies, while his grandmother and Jamie looked on and laughed. As I worked out ways to steal one of the babies and get them back to NZ no questions asked, we made our way back to the bridge and enjoyed some Che on the waterside before we headed to a local restaurant to make the most of happy hour to fill in some more time.

    At 6pm we headed back to the tailor as promised and Jamie tried on his suits complete with waistcoats. I looked on in awe of my transformed handsome man and laughed at how he was being fauned over by 4 Vietnamese ladies. Then it was my turn to try on my dress which facilitated the right response from the crowd with oohs and awws being murmured as I walked out of the changing room. Perhaps they were being polite, but it worked.

    We got some final adjustments made and promised to come back tomorrow for our second fitting. The service is pretty marvellous. After all this shopping round it was time for dinner, so based on the recommendation from Liz and Beth we headed to Morning Glory where I enjoyed some delicious aubergine and tofu and Jamie tried a local delicacy "Chicken Rice". And with dinner and a wet walk back to our hotel where Jamie walked me through the biggest puddles, another day in Vietnam was over.
    Read more