Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 45

    Cu Chi Tunnels

    November 6, 2014 in Vietnam ⋅ ⛅ 25 °C

    Yesterday we went to see the famous Vietcong tunnels in Cu Chi. The tunnels themselves were super small. Remarkable if you think that people actually lived down there for years to survive. You can enter in a small section of the tunnels. 3 different levels with one being so small that we would have had to crawl to move forward. We were to sissy to do that but went into the other two parts where you still were far away frombeing able to stand.

    You can see some parts of the old tunnels which are now made accessible for tourists, like a kitchen, an armory or a hospital. And then you get to see a little 20 minute propaganda video, which is fun for 5 minutes. All in all, the visit was definitely worth it. Some downsides though: a LOT of tourists, some them drinking beer all the way through this museum. Also, they have a shooting range there, where one could fire some guns like ak47 and other stuff. Quite disturbing to wander through a place like this and hear constant gunfire. Or, if you want to phrase it positively, it sets the atmosphere.

    In the evening we met with a couchsurfer who is teaching English at university and his students to speak some English with them. First we had some street food together and then sat down in their class room to just talk. This is supposed to help them build up some confidence in actually talking in English and we think that it is great initiative on the teachers side to make that possible. That was really fun and a great conclusion of the day.
    Read more