Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 46

    Cần thơ

    November 7, 2014 in Vietnam ⋅ ⛅ 30 °C

    After eating a good Phở (beef noodle soup) for breakfast we directly went to the bus station (yes... we finally didn't go to the war museum...). We decided to go directly to Cần thơ, the major city in the Mekong delta instead of starting by a Mekong delta tour from Saigon which were either private tours and thus too expensive or with a group of 25 people and full of tourist traps. Neither was too appealing.

    We arrived on the afternoon and booked a street food tour on the evening. We were with an Indian family and our guide brought us to different places in the city and explained us typical dishes for real Vietnamese people. In the programme: pork barbecue (that is just the name, no barbecue involved here), special muffins with green beans, pork and shrimps made only in one place (deep fried twice, it can on be excellent ;), eggplant stew, mouse, sticky rice (sweet colored rice in a waffle with coconut and sugar) and... duck embryo (Claire was the only brave one but all wanted to see ;) a very good experience overall! And yes, you also read mouse in that list. A typical dish for the Mekong Delta but less common nowadays because of the pesticides used on rice fields which are the major source of food for mice.
    Read more