Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 153

    Wellington

    February 22, 2015 in New Zealand ⋅ ⛅ 16 °C

    We didn't get a comprehensive view of the city of Wellington, because they don't have a "free" walking tour here yet. Outrageous!! So we had to find out ourselves that Wellington is a lovely little capital with a ton of really nice bars!

    Unfortunately, England was playing a game of the cricket world cup here this weekend, so the town was completely booked. And we mean completely! None of the many hostels in town had a single free bed! So we had to resort to the friend of a friend of a friend solution which luckily was available since we had a friend here who we met in Malaysia.

    The first attraction we visited here was the excellent museum of Te Papa which is free, interactive and comprehensive of New Zealands history. It includes natural as well as cultural history which also includes a detailed look at the Maori history. They also devoted a part to recent history in which they basically blasted all forms of sexism, homophobia and racism. Absolutely brilliant!

    We then wandered a bit through the city center including some hipster craft markets of the kind we really like before taking the cable car to the botanical gardens for a view in the city. Then we met up with our friend Julia to explore the nightlife.

    The next day we went to more markets and then headed to the Weta Cave, the workshop for movie props and special effects of Peter Jackson. We had a really cool tour through the studios there and saw loads of requisites, mostly of the Lord of the Rings movies of course and we learned that Viggo Mortensen is not a mere mortal like the rest of us as he was wearing real chain mail and steel swords while shooting the movies and not the much lighter replicas.

    Now we are in our cabin on the night ferry across the straight between Wellington and Picton, awaiting the wonders of the southern island. But before we get to see those our little farmstay experience is coming up...
    Read more