Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 14

    Afife to Caminha -last night in Portugal

    May 27, 2018 in Portugal ⋅ 🌙 13 °C

    Cannot believe that the walk in Portugal is coming to an end. I have walked approximately ( 25+ 20+ 15+ 27+16+14)=117kms in 6 days. I have not accounted for the walking and running around in Braga as this was off the Camino track.

    The place we stayed last night was a lovely home. The husband and wife were so lovely, it is always nice when you get to meet humans such as them when on holiday. I had brought with me some NZ honey for my herbal tea. I gave it to her, hoping it will help her in some little way with her stomach cancer.

    We had a lovely breakfast, and got to taste custard tarts again. Yum..... Maria the owner had statues in the foyer and she was showing me a statue of the saint for that area. Her name is Senhora da Agonia. I also had noticed a statue of saint Anthony in the foyer. I had a lot of faith and devotion to St Anthony. I was meeting Colin in Lisbon on the 12th June so we could be there for his feast day. When she realised this she took me upstairs and showed her collection of St Anthony statutes. There were many . Some of them centaury's old. She then showed some books of the celebrations they have in August for the patron saints feast which runs for 3 days in the area.

    We were out of there and not 10 minutes down the road heard the church bells ring. And then Shyama spotted the church and said shall we go and see if there is a service on as there were cars out side. We were just in time for the start of mass. That was very good, and it was great we got to mass on a Sunday.

    After that we walked and walked. We came to this little village and the streets all had red flowers in green hanging baskets. We came around to a square and what a lovely picture. Beautifull......

    Then down to the sea front and lobster and prawns in a tomato gravy or sauce based rice. Luckily we had ordered only 1 portion, if not we might not have been able to move. The sun was out, the day was great, and the breeze was just enough to make walking comfortable. Our day today was 14 or so kms, so a comparatively short day.

    There is a lovely mountain in The back drop of Caminha. It is called mount Tecla, and also there is a fort in the middle of the ocean. This is called
    Fort da Insua it is built on a small island. This had been built to defend the sandbar at the entrance of the city.

    When we got to our destination which was another "casa". Bed and breakfast place in other words. A very old, but grand place. Kept in a good condition in a rustic way. Owned by a gent who was 87 years young. Our place was quite separate to the main house. Must have been the servants quarters in the good old days of the past. He was a widow, and refers to his house keeper as his governess. It is so nice to meet all these lovely people.
    Read more