Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 17

    Whisky and Ale!

    July 15, 2012 in Scotland ⋅ 🌙 10 °C

    "How have you enjoyed the whisky and ale?" we've been asked several times. The answer is that we've enjoyed them a lot! Over the course of two weeks, we got to sample five different single malts and fifteen different local ales, almost all cask conditioned, and all made even better by being served at the proper temperature.

    Michele's favorite whisky was the Oban 14 (Oban), because it wasn't too smokey/peatey. Dan's favorite was the Talisker 10 (Isle of Skye), because it was more so. We also got to sample Jura 10 (Isle of Jura), Glenkinchie 12 (just south of Edinburgh), and Tomatin 12 (just south of Inverness).

    For ales, the clear winner was Inveralmond Brewery's Lia Fail, followed by the close contingent of Oban Bay Brewery's Skelpt Lug, Isle of Skye Brewery's Black Cuillen, and Caledonian 80. All three Bellhaven ales--Best, St. Andrews, and 80--also hit the spot, as did Cairngorm Brewery's Nessie's Monster Mash and Highland Brewing Company's Dark Munro. These are all beers on the darker and sweeter side, but we also had two good Pale Ales, including Edinburgh's Innis and Gunn Original and Inveralmond's Ossian.

    Scotland is definitely worth the trip for any whisky and ale lover, that's for sure!
    Read more