Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 33

    Broome

    May 15, 2017 in Australia ⋅ ☀️ 32 °C

    We arrived in Broome mid afternoon and began to understand why people love this place. It has a great feel to it and of course the weather is perfect. The visitor centre was the first port of call to get a town map and other brochures. There is a Horizontal Falls overnight houseboat tour that leaves from Derby which we wanted to do if we could find a place to leave Phoebe. The booking is done here in Broome, so armed with info on the tour and a phone no for the kennel in Derby we drove around the streets nearby until we found "The Roby" pub. Here we had a beer and set up Phoebe's overnight stay in Derby with the kennel owner by phone, before returning to make our booking at the visitor centre. This particular tour is a very popular one and to get the best out of it , you should do it on the highest tide possible. So the earliest we could get was the 30th May. Oh well, plenty of time to look around Broome and the Cape Leveque area.

    Broome is expensive and they don't like dogs, however we loved the place and were surprised at how big and busy it is. Haven't seen so much traffic since leaving Perth!

    Had to have a drink at Zanders overlooking Cable Beach, a beer for Dave and a lemon granita for me. The beach is beautiful and deserves its reputation, and I can see why people would want to spend a long time here.
    During a walk around Chinatown we found the Shady Lane Cafe and stopped here for lunch, Grilled Barramundi, Chips and Salad. Very nice!
    We visited the Port where you used to be able to fish from the very long jetty, but that has now been closed to public access, then a hair cut was in order for me as I was looking pretty wooly hehe. We also went to Bunnings. Who would have thought! A Bunnings in Broome! Dave just had to go and get his Bunnings fix. :-)
    Read more