Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 45

    Fish !!!!!

    May 27, 2017 in Australia ⋅ 🌫 8 °C

    If you have a boat you can catch a lot of fish around here. Fishing from the kayak hasn't been super successful, however the boats that go out always seem to come back with fish and plenty of them. So far we've seen Tuna, Mackerel, Bluebone, Giant Trevally, Mangrove Jack and Stripey Snapper. Those that catch the fish have been very generous and shared the spoils with us and others.

    We've been lucky enough to be given fillets of Mackerel, Giant Trevally, and Tuna as well as a whole Mangrove Jack. We've enjoyed sushimi a couple of times after being told how to prepare it by Luke, who is a dab hand at catching Tuna.

    This place really is paradise for fisherman, however if you want cafes, pubs, fancy ablution facilities, or even a shop then this ain't the place for you! You also need to contend with the really crappy badly corrugated Cape Leveque Road and of course plenty of mozzies and sand flies. But somehow we don't mind all that because the end result is worth it. We plan to come back around August September, because they say the bay has plenty of whales coming in to mate and calf.

    There are two photos below, one showing high tide, the other showing low tide both taken from the same spot. Dave paddled out in the kayak to a bouy located out in the bay at high tide, then walked out to the same bouy at low tide. I have marked him with a small ring in both photos, we did this to give some perspective to the size of the tides up here. With tides so dramatically different, it is critical to get the timing of launching and retrieving your boat correct otherwise you could be dragging your boat/kayak one hell of a long way.

    Today is our last full day here, as we are leaving tomorrow to head towards Derby, where we have the biggest thing on our bucket list booked "The Overnight Horizontal Falls Tour". We've had nothing but good reports about it so hope it justifies the expense.
    Read more