Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 66

    McGowans Island

    June 17, 2017 in Australia ⋅ ☀️ 31 °C

    McGowans is the other fishing / camping spot up here north of Kalumburu. This and Honeymoon are favourites of many people who return year after year for the fishing and to relax in these remote camps. McGowans is a few kilometres south of Honeymoon and on the other side of the point.
    This camp has just reopened after being vandalised last year by some Aboriginal families from Kalumburu. A family feud of some sort. They smashed up the traditional owners home and rampaged through the camp breaking solar panel connections and wrecking water pipes and frightening the shit out of the campers here.
    We've been told they had wifi, ice, hot showers, and well kept grounds. There's none of that now, however we liked it here better than Honeymoon. We went picking oysters off the rocks at low tide and Dave used his cast net a few times and caught bait fish.
    Matt runs the camp now, he's a volunteer so gets to stay out there for free in return for cleaning ablutions and collecting the camping fees. He's a friendly bloke and took us out fishing a couple of times. We caught Saddle Tail Snapper, and Cod. They are the most common fish caught up here and of good size too. Everyone who goes out in their boats is bagging out, so plenty of fish up here.
    We've been cooking the fish whole, scaled and gutted and wrapped in foil, then placed on a rack over coals in the camp fire. It's so easy and such a nice way to eat fish.
    Read more