Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 134

    Hanging out with the Hali's

    August 24, 2017 in Australia ⋅ ☀️ 34 °C

    Since leaving Fitzroy River Weir we have been bush bashing here there and everywhere following Tristan. We stopped in Camballin near the aboriginal community of Looma and did washing, had showers and topped up with water, then we all bought ice creams except Dave. Bliss!!!
    From there we travelled to the Myroodah Crossing on the Fitzroy River and set up camp. Not a bad spot but a long walk to the water from the camping area and the temp was around 38 degrees.
    We eventually reached the Great Northern Hwy and after stopping at the Willare Roadhouse for milk and bread continued north following tracks along the the Fitzroy River. We ended up going as far as the track would take us and set up camp near Sawfish Point on the opposite side of the the King Sound from Derby. The tide was out when we arrived and came in about 4pm as a sweeping wave about 1.5 metres high. The water level kept rising fast for an hour or so then started to recede much to our relief. There was a few worried faces for a while and "Do you think we should pack up and move?" Was mentioned a few times. Ha Ha.
    Of course the fishing rods came out but the fishing wasn't lucrative, except for Dave catching small medium and large cat fish. We couldn't be bothered with them as they are difficult to fillet due to their deadly spines and tough as leather skin.

    Happy 40th Birthday Nicky. Xxxxxxxx
    Read more