Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 6

    The Superpit and the Brothel

    May 9, 2018 in Australia ⋅ ☀️ 19 °C

    Today we had a look at the two most famous places in Kalgoorlie.

    The Goldmine.
    Each dump truck (worth $4.4 million each) carries 250 tons of rubble out of the pit. Only one out of every 7 trucks carries the high grade rock, which after crushing and processing will yield about a golf ball sized lump of pure gold. The mine owns and runs 40 trucks and various other mammoth machines 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. The tour was well worth it. The size and scale of the everything was huge.

    The Brothel
    Questa Casa or The Pink House. Back in its heydey it had ten working rooms and as many girls who were kept very busy and apparently they made pots of money. It’s still a working brothel and the girls start at 7pm.

    Now, the Questa Casa has just three rooms in use and there is only demand for two sex workers at a time. Prices are $150 for a half-hour and $280 for a full hour. (I thought you might like to know that vital piece of information).

    To keep the brothel afloat, Carmel and her daughter (the madams) run daily tours for travellers. There was 18 in our group and at $25 a head that’s pretty good money for an hour or so.
    Read more