Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 6

    Fraser Island Qld

    August 25, 2019 in Australia ⋅ ⛅ 21 °C

    We spent a week camping on Fraser Island.The island is the largest sand island in the world and is about 120 kilometres long. We drove up the Eastern side on the beach for about 100 K to our beachside campsite. The view was magic! The whales put on a show for us, quite a long way out though. A fisherman's paradise if you're lucky enough to catch them. Caught a dart, which we ate and some flathead that were too small and released.
    Watched a local guy playing around on the beach one day trying to attract a shark in close so he could catch it on his fishing line. He was dragging a big bag of fish berley in and out of the surf. A few sharks eventually turned up but wouldn't be caught. See the video.
    Dingoes were common as they are native to the island. They were no problem as long as you did not approach them and kept all rubbish out of reach.
    We drove into the interior and stayed a night at Central Station, a National Park campsite. We were camped among magnificent tall trees and rainforest. There is a number of fresh water lakes and creeks on the island, the largest one is Lake Mackenzie which we drove Quite impressive considering where it is.
    Read more