Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 58

    Camballin to Halls Creek

    July 2, 2021 in Australia ⋅ ☀️ 27 °C

    We left Camballin and headed towards Fitzroy Crossing. On the way we had two gorges to see, which we missed last time because of Putts. Tunnel Creek and Windjana. Spent the night in a bush camp called lake ellendale, and the next day took the turn off up to Windjana and tunnel creek. We stayed one night on the way at a bush camp called Cadjeput Creek. From there we went on to Windjana on a very rough Rd. The gorge itself is beautiful but quite small at about 3 or so kilometres long. After a couple of hours spent here we left and drove back towards Tunnel Creek.
    Tunnel Creek is about 3/4K long and lets the water through like a culvert, and in the wet season it is choc a bloc. At this time of year it is not flowing, however we had to swim through a very short section as the water was over our heads. There were many other pools of water which we had to wade through. It is also home to fresh water crocodiles, which don’t seem to bother you. I guess that’s fortunate. 😂. We took our torches, because the tunnel is as dark as an elephants tummy, but soon realised they weren’t torches, but only glow plugs, which made the journey very interesting, as we don’t know what the tunnel looks like on the inside. After that we went back towards the Gt Northern Hwy to a lovely camp built by the RAAF during WW2.

    From here we headed towards Fitzroy Crossing to do some shopping, but found the town a bit intimidating, with all shops surrounded by 2 metre high iron bar fencing with razor wire on the top. We thought about staying, but the camp ground looked like Stalag 13, and other travellers said definitely don’t stay there.
    We pushed onto another bush camp before arriving at Halls Creek, where we did some shopping and got fuel and water for the next big leg of our journey.
    Read more