Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 4

    Exploring Siem Reap

    October 2, 2017 in Cambodia ⋅ ⛅ 23 °C

    Today we decided to see a bit of the city we are staying in. We started after a hearty breakfast (pancakes and a bacon, egg and cheese sandwich) with "Pub street". This is the main tourist street of the town having everything from foot massages to 50 cent beers on tap (David might have suffered a beer).
    We had a wander down by the river and through the old market. Kerry got a cheap top and we shared some spring rolls; the first of many. We found a social enterprise offering free tours around their workshop where they work with villages to offer jobs to the locals in a sustainable manner. There were over 100 people working to create everything from natural soaps to candles and oils. We enjoyed some free samples of Cambodian iced ginger tea, hot kaffir lime leaf tea and a sugar cane drink before buying ourselves some souvenirs made in front of us. Then after a quick tuk tuk back to town we walked over to take a photo at the Hard Rock Cafe before heading back to a restaurant opposite our guesthouse. Here Kerry destroyed David at chess over some noodle soup and pork and bean rice.
    After lunch, and feeling a little guilty about our food obsession, we did a quick and sweaty workout to burn some of it off. After cooling down and watched a film before dinner. We dressed up for a nice last dinner in Siem Reap and walked up the road to find out our hopeful dinner place was fully booked so headed back to Pub Street to see what it could offer us by night. By this time, Cambodia was trying to prove again it was monsoon season so we ate Mexican and drank margaritas watching the sky light up with lightning and the rain pour down on the streets around us.
    Read more