Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 22

    Same Hué, Different Day

    October 20, 2017 in Vietnam ⋅ ⛅ 24 °C

    Another early start in the rain, we were served banana 'pancakes' (actually banana omelettes covered in chocolate sauce) and fruit before catching a lift to the bus to Hué, via another sleeper bus. By the time we arrived the rain had stopped and we had a quick walk to the next hotel, Hong Thien Ruby Hotel, which is located on the edge of the tourist square. Here we were greeted by a smoothie and plate of fruit - a welcome surprise - before being shown our room.
    Our next priority was lunch, we had a great chicken curry and special Malaysian rice (with chicken and prawn). We sorted out a tour for tomorrow, then headed to the citadel.
    Hué was the previous capital and there is still the remnants of the old walled city where the last emperor had his palace. It is a huge area, over 2km x 2km, which felt even bigger when walking around. We wandered through the imperial city, the centre of the citadel before our feet started to give up and we headed back for a much needed rest.
    Recharged, we had a drink, or two, at the 'Why not?' bar pre-dinner. Some guys from Belgium invited us to play a game - basically a round robin using a pool table and balls. Three rounds later, we left in search of food. We found a cute little restaurant called the Rustic Kitchen, which we realised is not actually a building but was instead located between two other buildings with some lights attached between making it feel like a ceiling. The food and service was great here.
    Read more