Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 2

    La Paz

    March 28, 2016 in Bolivia ⋅ 🌬 12 °C

    So why Bolivia as the first stop of our honeymoon?

    While Sandy prefers luxurious and comfortable resorts, I am an adventurer. When Sandy and I were discussing where to go for our honeymoon, she picked Bora Bora. I said, "okay, we could go to Bora Bora, if you follow me to Bolivia and Easter Island first."

    Those were my top 2 dream destinations since many years ago.

    So here we are in La Paz. At about 4000m above sea level, it is the highest capital of the world. Technically the highest capital is Lhasa of Tibet, but it got invaded by China in recent years and Beijing isn't that high.

    Sandy gets very sick on Day 1 even though we took a lot of altitude sickness prevention stuff such as Rhodiola Rosea (herbal supplement) and diamox.

    I feel perfectly okay, but it sucks when Sandy throws up four times when walking around in the city.

    We are joining quite a few tours on this trip. The reason is that while I like to do all the planning, I still have to make our honeymoon safe and comfortable. Wandering around looking for transportation simply isn't a thing in the equation.

    So Day 1 is mainly about making payments, taking the amazing cable cars, and dealing with her altitude sickness. The cable cars here are one of the few that aren't used for sightseeing but for practical transportation purpose of local people. La Paz is a strange place - rich people live in the crowded areas while poor people live on top of the hills with gorgeous views.

    Bolivians are mostly Catholic, but they visit Shamen for sickness and fortune telling. They bring skulls of their ancestors to Catholic churches.

    As the poorest country in South America, things are super cheap here. A taxi ride is typically around 15bs (about US$2.1). A meal is about 25bs.

    Almost every other house is incomplete or broken on purpose. They do that in other to avoid tax...

    More about this country on Day 2 and 3.
    Read more